The Volunteers Assisting Paramount Students and Staff (VAPSS) is a program endorsed by the Superintendent’s Office and authorized by the Board of Education of the Paramount Unified School District. It is designed to supplement but not replace highly successful existing programs that provide outstanding help to the schools such as the ongoing PTA activities, advisory councils, booster groups and classroom aides.
The purpose of the project is to develop, with the cooperation of community organizations and other interested citizens, a group of volunteers to:
- Tap the human resources of the community for the enrichment of the school’s students.
- Increase community understanding and support of public education, thereby strengthening the educational system through the use of volunteers.
- Provide additional individual attention and assistance to students who are not performing well in a group situation.
- Offer needed supportive services to the teacher and other members of the school staff.
- In-Classroom Help with Routine Duties: Volunteers give general help to the classroom teacher or other members of the school staff doing such tasks as: preparing duplicated work, preparing educational materials, assisting with art and science classes and maintaining bulletin boards.